Friday 1 October 2010

To: October (CC: Rain, Wind, Coldness) Subject: "Hello you."

It's been rather too long since blogging. Actually cleared some half finished posts out to get some sort of element of completion to this irrelevant drivel.

Lots to get through and not much all at once. By that I mean I've now moved out, which meant one month of insane hecticness over summer, followed by 3 wasted ones with Brother Xbox and Cousin Minimal Funds. Oh and the missus.

Its an odd experience when you first move out, feels like you're living in a hotel for a while, and when you need to go through 3 security processes from pavement to sofa it feels somewhat less homely, yet refreshingly safer than most student accommodation.

We've settled in now however, and routines are back to half-arsed banality now Uni has started again.

I'm enthusiastic about Uni this year. Was a hard slog back in 09/10 but was rewarding I suppose, so going into it with more gusto might push me to enjoy it more. Don't get me wrong I love design and can't wait to pursue it after uni, but there's something about 6-8 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 3 months in a workshop, for no pay, that doesn't quite speak to me.

So people keep asking if I mind travelling from Huddersfield every morning instead of home. Honestly, I don't care, as long as I have Morissey, Claudio Sanchez or Chris Corner in my ears the journey could be twice as long and I wouldn't mind. But the fact is the journey is pretty much the same in terms of time. Only difference is where I used to have to stand up to let old ladies sit down, I now stand up to let arrogant, selfish businessmen sit down. Which whilst feeling like 'taking it from the man', also offers one seldom consolation:

If an old lady falls off the bus, I have to act seriously and offer help.
If a suited bastard on the train spills coffee in his lap, I can watch and laugh.

Comedy > Tragedy

Its crazy how fast time is going now though. I'm already a quarter of the way through my contract at this place and it feels like we've barely been here. 2010 is in its dying breaths, choking on floods of rain, and soon the ashes of a million bonfires. There's Christmas gear in the shops. FUCKING CHRISTMAS GEAR! It makes me feel a little bit sick that I saw Santa's podgy little face before any sign of a Mummy, Vampire or Frankenstein's Monster this year.*

*Vampire meant very much in the Bram Stoker sense, not Stephenie Meyer's venal bastardisation

Is it turning me into a bigger cynic by places pissing all over traditions just to get a little bit more in their pocket sooner than later?

Is it hypocritical for me to think this when all of last week I was angrily asking where my unearned student finance was?

All I know is as much as we hate to say it, money does make the world go round, and it
will buy you happiness. Even if only up until the heel snaps, or the disc scratches, or the night ends in a black eye. You might as well spend it while you've got it.

So if money is the root of all evil, I'll see you all in hell for one last spree.

No comments:

Post a Comment